I didn't have any actual liquid clear but I really wanted to try this. I found someone suggest online that a 50/50 mixture of linseed oil and paint thinner might make an acceptable substitute. Turns out that's way too much thinner (I think linseed oil alone probably would have worked better, or maybe more like 80/20 at most). I tried wiping as much off as I could and it still thinned the paint out to the point that it was quite difficult to work with. Still, I don't hate the results. I wasn't as successful with the primary wave as I was with my last seascape, and a lot of it got covered up with my rock formation (you can see the scoop in the lower right hand side of it as I realized I hadn't started close enough to the edge of the canvas). But the rock itself came out okay, I just had to abandon the fan brush and go with a filbert instead to get it to have the form and texture I was happy with. I didn't like the windswept evergreen Bob painted so i went with a more Monterey/Carmel-by-the-Sea feel and tried my hand at a cypress tree. I think it's probably the best part of the painting. Overall, not my most successful effort but I did notice that I'm getting more comfortable making the paintings my own and diverging from Bob's concepts and samples as my confidence grows. Might try this one again some time after I have a few more under my belt. It was good practice on the black canvas.